The European Union Pacific Agriculture Policy Project (PAPP) of the Pacific Community has a partnership with PIFON which is aimed at strengthening the livelihoods of smallholder farmers through stronger market linkages, stronger information sharing and a supportive policy environment. The foundation of this Partnership is based on the recognition that Pacific economies and livelihoods are largely agricultural based and that farmers are primary stakeholders to the growth of the agriculture and forestry sector.
This Partnership recognised the strengths that each partner provides to promote mutual benefits for farmers. In SPC’s Land Resource Division (LRD), there is technical expertise encompassing soil health, sustainable crop production, genetic research and value chain support for crops and livestock. In PIFON, there is a mechanism, for reaching farmers at scale and providing an efficient medium for information sharing, learning, promoting sustainable agricultural practices and tools and strengthening policy advocacy and development.
PIFON has under its Strategic Plan 2014-16 has developed a program that promotes the following Objectives
- Objective 1: A strong Pacific Farmers Network with wide membership across the Pacific Islands.
- Objective 2: Information, contacts and technical expertise to promote viability of national farmer organisations.
- Objective 3: Technical expertise, information and contacts to enable farmer organisations to better participate in commercial agriculture.
- Objective 4: To promote the environmental sustainability of member farmer operations.
- Objective 5: To raise the profile of farmer organisations in the Pacific and give them a voice in regional and international forms including influencing and securing donor support.
- Overview of PIFON Download
- SPC-PIFON Partnership Semester Report #1 for 2015 Download
- Policy Brief: Agricultural Research and Farmer Organisations in the Pacific Download
- Policy Brief: Agricultural Extension and Farmer Organisations in the Pacific Download
- The Napil Rural Training Center, Tanna, Vanuatu - Evaluation Report Download
- Breadfruit Market and Marketing of Pacific Island Breadfruit with a focus on Fiji and Samoa Download