The agriculture sector is a major source of income and employment for most Pacific Islanders and therefore plays a vital role in supporting food security, economic growth and sustainable livelihoods.
However, per capita agricultural production across the region has declined over the past 50 years. This has contributed to increased dependency on imported food and undermined the region’s food security.
A major challenge for policy makers and agriculture sector stakeholders is to obtain greater food security for the region by encouraging the large proportion of semi-subsistence farmers to move into commercial production through sustained access to competitive markets. Improvement of domestic market infrastructure, local value-added processing, and development of regional markets for diverse Pacific crops, would build on and support the desirable aspects of traditional farming systems.
PAPP aims to strengthen the livelihoods of smallholder farmers by strengthening their linkages to markets, improving access to information, research, and knowledge and strengthening the policy and operating environment for farmers through clearer, evidence based policies.
PAPP has three key result areas (KRAs):
- Strengthen regional agricultural development strategy.
- Improve the dissemination and adoption of applied agricultural production research technologies.
- Contribute to agricultural enterprise development through improved market linkages.
PAPP’s Statistics and Economics work supports all three KRAs with particular emphasis on providing the evidence base for effective policy and strategy development. PAPP supports the collection, analysis and dissemination of agricultural and rural statistics. Key activities include:
- Provision of technical and financial assistance for agricultural censuses and surveys for the collection of key data;
- Provision of capacity building on the compilation and use of key statistics and data;
- Training on the use of economic tools for analysis such as Cost-Benefit Analysis;
- Establishment and trial of agricultural data information systems;
- Dissemination of key data and indicators through websites and publications.
Pacific Strategic Plan for Agricultural and Fisheries Statistics
P-SPAFS Media release - launch